Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy Ma Burfday

Today is Jenny's, Mouse Meat as her dad used to call her when she was little, birthday. What a day that was. I had just told Cy to go ahead and travel to the state track finals at Phoenix Christian High School's track field 34 years today, but on a Saturday. I told him that I probably wouldn't deliver until later that night.

Well about 12:oo p.m. my brother drove me to Pinal General Hospital in Florence to deliver. My sister Kathy and Mike Borquez (a brother-in-law yet to be) took Elizabeth to the carnival at the Cinco De Mayo festival while I delivered her baby sister, Jenny. Jenny was born around 3:00 p.m. and the last of her family to be born in the p.m. I thought all kids were born in the early hours of the morning. No, Jenny was to be the first. I told Dr. Clemans that the baby couldn't be born without her dad. He laughed his very loud laugh and said well it just might happen. Babies come when they are ready and not at the convenience of the parents.

Well, true to form Jenny was born with the imbilical cord wrap around her neck. Bill delivered her without me knowing it or letting on the stress, another little girl to our family. My mother was waiting to see me but with Elizabeth waiting at home had to get home. My sister, Ria was there to make sure her big sister was okay. Dr. Clemans was the best doctor in the world. Jenny was in such good hands. With a big smoothering kiss to Jenny and me he told me she was fine and was a beautiful girl.

I know I am the luckiest parent in the world. They are the best four daughters a mother could have. Today we celebrated Jenny's birthday 34th at Liz and Wayne's. Just not possible to have two daughthers that are in their 30's. I never look at them and think they are getting older. They will always be little in my mind. I love that my daughters can get together and enjoy being with each other. Even more lucky that their husbands enjoy being around each other and them. The are so much a product of their parents, two strong opinionated people. I am not sure any of the boys realized how strong my girls' minds were. You will not change their mind unless they are not sure of themselves (which happens not very often). Thank you boys for loving them inspite of their heritage (my family and Cy's are the same way).

I lift my glass of the finest, a glass of Oregon's finest (Willamette Valley Vineyard's Pinor Noir) in honor of Jen's birthday and another family party. We do know how to throw a party. Let us always remember where we originate and how much our extended family is a part of us. They are a part of all of us. I am proud to be a Padilla and a Henry.

Thank you Dear Lord for allowing me to witness your good Grace and Love and to continue to enjoy my kids and their kids. I only hope that You will also allow me the time I need to watch them grow like my parents did me and mine. You have always been behind my good fortune in life and continue to bless my family and myself. Today I sat in mass in honor of my mother. I will always miss her, but I know I have learned so much from her. I am blest that my dad continues on for our family. What an amazing father I have in my dad!

1 comment: