Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Promoted to..........

Today my eldest grandson called me to tell me, "Grammy, it says 'Promoted to the Second Grade.'" He sounded so serious and wanted to tell me he got all A's. Zachary James Langenbach is the greatest big brother and big cousin in the world. I pray and hope that his second grade teacher will appreciate him for the individual he is. He is a teaser, has a playful nature, very smart, and one of the biggest hearts.

I know I am very partial because I am his grammy but I am also a teacher. My favorite students are the ones that are witty, silly, and have a personality. I know I sometimes have students that no matter how hard I try they still fail. It doesn't matter; it still hurts me because maybe I could have done something different for that student.

Yesterday instead of teaching one last day (8th graders final day of class) I talked to them for a few minutes and passed out a poem I had written for my sixth graders the last year I taught at Four Peaks Elementary School. I revised it a bit every year and give it to my 8th graders as a going away card from me. I will insert it (because it is how I feel when they leave) later. It is titled, "I'll Not be Far Away."

The last class I gave it to was my remedial 8th grade class. They have really tried but were behind where they should be. Some days were exhausting but they always did what I asked them to do. Well yesterday, I asked them, "Did you at least learn one concept since you walked in my room in the fall?" They shook their head yes. I told them that in my books they were successful. I watched their faces and they wanted so much to believe in something. I told them that if they really worked hard that one day it would click for them. I told them to never accept second best because they deserved only the best.

I gave them the poem at this time and told them that the middle school teacher that told me I would never learn math because I was in "dumbbell math" is still around. Everytime I see him in town (Florence, Az) I laugh silently in his face. I proved him wrong. I am the best math teacher in the world because I TEACH KIDS to have confidence in themselves first and then learn math. Well, what I thought would happen didn't. I told them they could write in their yearbooks and visit quietly. They didn't start right away. They actually read the poem. I pretended I wasn't looking and watched each one actually read it. Some started looking around at others and had tears. Then I heard, "One, two, three" and all at once they all stood up and clapped. I was so taken aback. As each one left that day they hugged me and thanked me for the poem. Whether they will remember this or not, yesterday is why I still teach. I love that feeling of reaching the part of their insecurities and make them believers even if for a moment. I do know that they will think of this moment and work just a bit harder. I also know that they will take this special moment and keep it locked away for when they need a boost.

We all need to think about how we talk to kids. Please don't take their spirit. Please don't label them. Please don't let them see how frustrated you are with them. Please don't say something you can never take back. Please don't hurt their soul. As teachers we have those kids during the school year longer than parents do at home. Please just love them for who they are.

I remember as a child being so scared wondering if I was going to be promoted. In second grade this old teacher on the last day of school would call your name and you came and got your report card. Every student would look at their card and sigh with relief that they had passed. The boy before me sat down and opened up his report card and it said that he failed. I never forgot how sad he was and how scared I was that maybe I had too. Mine said, "Promoted to the 3rd grade" and was relieved. I will still never forget how that little boy looked. Did that teacher try hard to help him or did he not want to learn?

Congratulations, Zachary James Langenbach, your grammy is so proud of you. Congratulations Zane and Henry for completing this year at The Little Prospector! I have the smartest grandsons. As Zach said many years ago on the day I picked him up from pre-school when it was my last day with a fist in the air, "We are on Bacation!" Priceless.

Friday will be the best day because I will be spending June and July with my boys.

Promoted to.........Grammy's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment