Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It Has to be Hard to be a Mom of Boys

I wouldn't know because I had four beautiful girls. They entertained themselves (oh, except for Tricia because she could always con her dad into playing "My Little Ponys" with her), they were clean, they didn't wrestle, they ate every meal without much fuss, and were very easy to raise.

My two oldest daughters gave us 3 wonderful little boys who we lavish much love on every day. All of my girls are home now so the boys have much showing off to do for their Aunties. And their Aunties want to make sure that they are always loved.

On Saturday we took all the boys to see "Where the Wild Things Are" and all the girls and Grammy were there. What an event this was! Zane and Henry had comments for most everything. We never realized how loud their voices are because they play so hard at home. It sounded like bugles. They loved the show but didn't know how to lower the volume of what they were saying. Zach tried to act brave but thought some parts were kind of scary. He kind of hung on Tricia toward the second half of the show.

As a mother my heart was always in my throat because I wasn't allowed to run onto the court when one of the girls got hit or fell in basketball; this was unheard of in our house as the wife of a coach. I remember when Tricia got elbowed in the eye during a summer game and split her eyebrow open. I went to the lockerroom to check on her and Liz and Jenny were trying to patch her eye so I went back and sat down. When I saw her dad get ready to put her back in, Jenny turned and told me not to say one word that Tricia was fine. They must have done a pretty good job because there wasn't much of a scar to this day. I am truly amazed at how tough these girls were. Maybe the Lord knew it would be okay for them to have boys because Liz and Jen have done an amazing job raising boys.

They don't freak out when they rough each other up and tend to mop up cuts and scraps that come with rough housing. After the month we have had with Henry and Zach at the hospital, I am truly amazed at how proud of the way my girls have gone with the flow.

Henry had an intestinal virus after three nights at Banner Desert and Zach with a split lip and baby tooth knocked out playing football at school. Grammy and their aunties have a hard time knowing they are hurt and hearts are heavy but try to remain brave. We will never freak out in front of them or their parents but come home with hearts that feel like breaking.

Tricia and I were talking after she visited Zach and said she just wanted to cry about her Bear and his busted lip (she has always called Zach, Bear). She said his lip is swollen and luckily it was a baby tooth and the permanent is coming in. Zach knew more than the Emergency doctor. He told Liz that it wasn't his permanent tooth because he said that one has been loose for a while now and wouldn't fall out.

I know I will not be allowed to speak at any of my grandson's games when they get older even though I will want to be out on that field or court pushing anyone that comes close to hurting them.

I promise I will not embarrass my grandboys, I promise I will not embarrass my grandboys, oh bother I probably will. I hope they know that I love them more than my life.

Dear Lord, please protect my grandchildren on and off the playing field. Please guide them with your loving heart to be a good friend, athelete, and human being. With your grace and love help them to be the kind of little boys that grow to be fine young men. I ask this in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment: