Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blast From the Past

Today I started my NAU/CAC cohort class. I rushed home only to find my grandsons at their Auntie G's house. I miss the days that I don't see them.

WOW, what a class! Before I left school (knew I had limited time when I got home)I printed my class list. I like to look at names and see if any names are names of my students' names. I saw this name today Starkey (last name). I thought wouldn't it be funny if she is related to Robert(Bob) Starkey who was a teacher at AJJHS when I was Secretary to Students Services. (I think you know where this is going) When I was calling roll today I stopped at her name and very sarcasticly said, "Your dad's name isn't Bob is it?" She looked up and said, "No, please don't tell me you know him." I stopped and started laughing. I asked her if he taught at AJJHS once and was told yes. I told her to text her dad and tell him if he remembered Pito Perez. She did and he said WHAT? Then she asked him if he remembered Lydia Henry. He said, "OMG!"

Bob Starkey was the Spanish teacher at AJJHS the last few years I was there before I started ASU. I did attendance by hand, and the teachers would send the attendance every hour to me to input in my register (I did ADM and ADA by hand-we had no computer program for this yet). Bob would send the attendance and Pito Perez would appear absent everyday and sometimes for a treat he would send this Mexican woman (me)a message in Spanish for me to translate. He was real disappointed in me that I didn't know Spanish being the daughter of two fluent-speaking parents. I always was close to the correct translation. What a wonderful teacher he was! We were lucky to have Bob as a teacher.

"The circle of life" does exist. If I can touch his daughter's life the way that he touched my life I will feel that I have been a success.

Dear Lord, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of "the circle of life" and being able to impact the students that I teach to be educators. I know that you have placed me here with someone that long ago talked to me about me going on to pursue the educational field. I wasn't sure at that time if this was something that I could do. So thank you, Lord for this opportunity to let Bob Starkey know how much I appreciate the confidence he had in me when I wasn't sure I had that confidence in myself. I will work hard to help Bob's daughter and the rest of her class be the best they can be.

Lord, I have had three surprises today when I know that my friend, Eric is preparing for his entry into your Heavenly Kingdom. Thank you for them. Today, I heard that Troy Gingrich's wife gave birth today to twins. Then Jessica and Jamie (Samuels) stopped by today. They were looking for Jenna who was visiting her 6th grade teachers. She took off so they came and found me (I think my heart stopped for a split second-knew they wouldn't be here for that) for me to find her. I did. I did an "all call." I think they needed to see me as much as I needed to see them. You knew I needed to be reminded of your love. Thank you so much for this part of the Samuels' love that will be remembered. And third, You gave me Jennifer Christine Starkey to remind me of "The Circle of Life." Please Lord, bless these families with your undying love. Let them feel your strength and love. I ask this in the Name of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment